Thursday, April 16, 2009

Obituary, Gwen Lenore Carroll (Mecham) 1936-2009

Gwen Lenore Mecham Carroll, a loving wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister and cherished friend, lost a courageous and a long-lasting struggle with breast cancer and passed away peacefully on April 15, 2009 at LDS hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah. She was born June 17, 1936 in Springville, Utah, the oldest child of Emil Lemond and Erma Fullmer Mecham. She attended school in the Springville and Provo areas, graduating from Provo High School in 1954. She worked at the Social Security Office and the BYU Employment Office to support her University experience. Gwen interrupted her BYU studies to serve an LDS mission in South Africa from 1959 to 1961. Upon returning from her mission, she began working as a flight attendant for United Airlines. She worked as a flight attendant for over 25 years, and was based in Chicago, San Francisco, and Denver. It was while she was living in the San Francisco area that she met and married the love of her life, Jimmy Lee Carroll, on March 17, 1964. Their marriage was solemnized in the Manti Temple in 1980.

Gwen’s greatest joy in life came from being a mother to her son, James Lamond Carroll. She was also a wonderful step mother to Terry Carroll and Linda Strebeck. She was a master gardener, and year after year she produced yards that were some of the most beautiful in the valley. She also enjoyed dancing, playing the piano and singing with her ward choirs. Gwen loved history, genealogy, family history work, and reading and learning about her ancestor’s lives. Gwen was a life-long member of the LDS church in which she served diligently in numerous callings. She loved and was loved by her family, her extended family, her church associates, and a myriad of wonderful friends. She was indeed one of God’s choicest daughters.

Gwen is survived by her husband of 45 years, Jimmy L. Carroll, her son, James L. (Heidi) Carroll, her step-children Terry Lee (Vi) Carroll, and Linda Joyce (Alan) Strebeck, one grandchild and fifteen step-grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her four sisters Shirlene (Ron) Day, Karen (Rod) Marshall, Kay (Jim) Graff, Elaine Butler, and numerous nieces, nephews and cousins. She was preceded in death by her parents, Emil Lemond Mecham, Erma Fullmer Mecham Nelson, her step-father, William H. Nelson and a brother, Emil Lemond Mecham.

A viewing will be held on Sunday April 19th from 6 until 8 pm at Berg Mortuary, 185 E. Center Street Provo Utah. Funeral services will be held on Monday April 20st at 11 am, at the LDS Church, at 10494 N. 4720 W, Highland Utah, with a viewing one hour prior to services. Internment will be in the Springville Evergreen Cemetery.




8 comments:

Grandma Rini said...

It's wonderful to hear of Gwen's life of devotion and goodness. We are so happy to be even distantly related to her. Love to you all from Herb and Maurine McLean (Heidi's grandparents.)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful woman and what a life she had. There were lots of things I read that I didn't know. For one, we had the same birthday! She will be missed that is for sure. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Allison Hallows
(Alan Strebeck's daughter)

Lisa Daniels said...

My aunt was a loving, giving angel and she will sourly be missed by myself and my family. I have many fond, loving memories of her and how she made me feel like I could do anything I set my mind to doing. She always had a big smile and warm hugs whenever I would visit her, my uncle Jim and my cousin James when they lived in Bountiful. I will always love you and miss you until I see you again.

Emily Nice said...

Glad you posted this. I'm sorry for your loss. Let me know if there is something I can do.

Smart Helm said...

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful person and will be missed by many.

mamo said...

I am sorry to hear of Gwens passing. She was a great lady and I am sure she is with her family that has passed on and they are having a great reunion. We should be so thankful for the plan of salvation, that we can be eternal family's forever.

mamo said...

mamo is Cindy (taylor) cook. Cousin of Gwen

helmhq said...

Thank you for posting about your Mother. It was good to learn more about her. We are thinking of you especially at this time. Wish we could be there to support you.